What must be done to win in the face of great life’s struggles ahead in 2021?
First Message of the new year 2021.
Biblical Text: 1 Samuel 30: 1-20
– Great storm (tribulation, adversity) rushed over the life of David and his men – v. 1-6
– We are all liable to face great storms at some points in our existence. (John 16:33, Psalm 34:19)
– Today’s biblical text in 1 Samuel 30.1-20 teaches us some actions to be taken in times of great storms / adversities in our life:
I.) Revive in the Lord – v. 6 b
– “David struggled in the Lord” (ARC); “David was revived in the Lord” (ARA); “Was strengthened in the Lord” (NIV); “The Lord … gave him courage” (NTLH).
– “… from weakness they drew strength, became powerful in battle and put foreign armies to flight” (Heb 11.34).
– In the most difficult moments of life, we either rise up finding strength in God, or we will be defeated.
II.) Consult the Lord – v. 7.8
– We need to learn to consult the Lord before making decisions, especially those of greater importance.
– Joshua and the leaders of Israel stopped consulting God and were deceived by the Gibeonites to whom they were imprisoned – Josh 9:14
III.) Act based on the Promises of God, on the Word of God regardless of circumstances – v. 9.10
– God directed David to pursue his enemies. Based on that Word and this Promise of God, David acted.
– Although not all of David’s men were able to go ahead, David remained steadfast in his action.
– “Simon answered him, Master, having worked all night, we caught nothing, but under your word I will cast the nets” (Lk 5.5).
IV.) Count on God’s Providence – v. 11-16
– When God’s purpose is to lead us to victory, He will always act on our behalf through His Divine Providence.
– Notice how in the life of Joseph of Egypt, everything was God’s Providence.
V.) Fight decisively with all your strength – v. 17
– Act decisively, do what needs to be done, face the problem head on, face to face; overcome all tiredness, gather all your strength, fight!
VI.) Recover everything you can recover – v. 18-20
– Don’t settle for less, don’t settle in some kind of comfort zone.
– Seek to make up for lost time, your family, your marriage, your children, your possessions.
– The same people who talked about stoning David (v. 6), now honored him (v. 20).
– The storms / adversities that God allows us to go through can be disguised opportunities for Him to honor us, for Him to confirm our leadership.
– They are certainly opportunities for us to acquire great experiences with our God!
Blessings in Christ,
Rev. Pastor Alves, BA, MSM
Gospel of Grace Baptist Church